My proposed concept to be hopefully exhibited at the Melbourne Art Fair, is titled ‘Modern Day Portraiture’. This work consists of a series of portraiture paintings of myself and those sharing my name. However, I will be displaying these portraits by painting facebook profiles. I wish to randomly select 10 different profiles and display them as they appear on the screen. I have already painted one profile – my own – as an example of the series I wish to complete.
As I paint these images of people who share my identity, I will in turn be portraying my own view of these people’s depictions of themselves. In a complicated displaying of personal depiction I have used the theme identity to organise my thoughts on the following:
- the endless lists of people that share my name
- the meaning of shared identity
- the unescapable and ever changing world of technology and how it’s shaping society
- the social constructs we find ourselves constantly conforming our behaviour to in order to appear a certain, desirable way
- and how this desire is distorted and varied throughout the world
Although these questions are not all sufficiently answered upon viewing my art, I believe my audience will be empowered to acknowledge them and forced to interact in turn creating their own interpretation of my art.